A complex arrangement of rigid steel piping, s...
Image via Wikipedia

I recently had to do an extension to a house that required a modification to the tank, I wanted to install a new hot water  mains pressure system, I specified a system I know about and it was approved, but it got me thinking, I did not know what regulations specifically applied to the installation of a water system. So I did a little research and found that since July 1st 1999 there have been new  Water Fittings Regulations (or bylaws in Scotland), they are national requirements for the design, installation and maintenance of plumbing systems, water fittings and water-using appliances. Their purpose is to prevent misuse, waste, undue consumption or erroneous measurement of water and, most importantly, to prevent contamination of drinking water. They replace the former Water Supply Byelaws which each water supplier has administered for similar purposes for many years. Check out the Water Regulation advisory service web site for more info, there is a tab for regulations, which makes good reading.

The Building regulation for England and Wales Part G section 3 has a small amount of advise on hot water unvented systems, and refers back to the act, and that anyone fitting such items be competent, I spoke to the WRAS and they operate an approve scheme of contractors. The regulations seem to look at contamination, waste use and ways to stop the pressure building up, or the temp exceeding 100 deg . Also complying with an accredited certification body such as BBA. which I would suspect is the best way to specify. The building regs seems to be satisfied if you specify the manufacturer, the system name, the installer, and who has certified it.

Part L should also be looked at, As always this is not the complete story, print of the sheet, look at the leads I have given and check out the relating law.

Does this help me, yes, I can now refer to them, but it did not help one further question my client had, that of hard water, and it seems there are no rules to protect the house holder against hard water or its effects, I am working on this as I think I should be able to specify something, as the houses in my catchment area are all hard or semi hard water users, well its not soft water, and there is a problem is furring of pipes and tanks.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Source: Konstrukshon CPD Weblog – Architectural Technologist – Water Supply
Go to Source: Konstrukshon CPD Weblog